Philippians 4:13

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" Philippians 4:13

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

One Man's Junk......

I've been a little heavy hearted this week. I had a Dr appointment on Monday that I waited months for and it didn't go like I'd hoped. I won't go into details, I'll just say that it was a waste of my time and money and I did not get the help I was hoping for. I was really disappointed and have been in a bit of a funk since. I thought about writing about it but I hate to be a whiner and I know even though I didn't get what I wanted I still have a lot to be thankful for, so I didn't. 

This morning started the same as most. Chris brought me a cup of coffee in bed and gave me a kiss as he rushed out the door for work. I sat on our bed for a minute and sipped the hot beverage that would soon bring me to life so that I could get on with my day. I thought about all the things I needed to do. I thought about how I hadn't blogged in several days. I thought again about blogging about my problems and disappointments but decided that was depressing and no one wants to hear about that. I prayed a quick prayer and asked God to give me something happy and inspiring to blog about today. I knew the kids were in the backyard playing and I wouldn't be able to hear them scream if disaster happened (which is pretty much a daily occurrence around our house) so I forced myself to get up even though I didn't sleep last night and I feel terrible. 


When the kids realize I'm up they flog me, asking for a multitude of things at once...bananas, cereal, almond milk, help with the potty...the usual. I get everyone set up and realize Kaleb is sitting in the dining room floor looking like I feel (which is bad) so I ask him if he's ok. He tells me he's tired but there's no where to sleep because the kids will find him and bother him. I told him to go lay in their room and I would keep them away. I decided I would put on a movie for the others so they would definitely stay in the living room but when I went to lay down the blanket for them to lounge on (because we have no furniture right now because we're moving...long story I'll get to another day) I realize the floor is filthy and I need to sweep before I put the blanket down. So I start to sweep, pushing moving boxes out of the way and generally clearing a suitable spot for the blanket when I spot it....in a box near the front door. I hadn't paid any attention to this box because we have so many everywhere I just figured it had yard sale stuff in it and never gave it a second look...but this box was different. It was not one that I'd seen before and as I peered down at it's contents a flood of excitement poured over me and for a minute I forgot that I felt bad. Where did this come from? Was I dreaming or was this for real? It was a miracle....it was....a KEURIG! Now anyone who knows me well knows that I am obsessed with coffee. Coffee, java, mud, joe, nectar of the gods....call it whatever you want but I love it! We have a lovely old school percolator coffee pot that we love but there is something about the Keurig that's had my attention for a while. Well for one, their just plain neat. Beautiful, modern, buttons that glow... the idea of getting a fresh cup of coffee every time and never getting the last bit of the pot that is slightly burnt and not nearly as tasty as the first cup...what's not to love? I've watched and participated in the demos at Costco many times, ooooing and aaaaahing as if the demonstrator was performing some sort of magical trick...and then I look at the price tag on the display model and I come back to my senses and walk away sipping my cup of fresh coffee thinking to myself  "well, that was fun, maybe one day...".


I wondered where in the world this had come from. I threw the broom down and ran into the kids room where poor Kaleb was almost asleep.... "Kaleb, Kaleb! Did your mom bring me a coffee maker?" Kaleb in a daze "what, a coffee maker?"....me "a coffee maker! It's in a box in the living room..did your mom bring it?"...Kaleb groggily "a box, uh, maybe". Well he wasn't any help so I ran to the phone to call Katie and when she answered I practically burst..."did you bring me a Keurig?"!!! She said she did and it was for me to sell at our yard sale on Sat. I was a little bummed and then she said that it had come from her work and that it didn't work very well so they never used it, so instead of throwing it away she donated it to our yard sale. I asked a few questions about what was wrong with it and then I think sensing my disappointment she said "I mean, you can play around with it if you want"...that's all I needed to hear:) I hung up and raced back to the living room and pulled the amazing invention from it's cardboard home. I sat it on the kitchen counter and stared at it. It was beautiful! The kids could sense my excitement and they danced around in the kitchen behind me as I filled the reservoir with water and inserted the tiny cup of coffee grounds. Then it was time...I pushed the beautiful blue glowing button and tah dah!!!! A glorious cup of hot coffee was made in a matter of seconds right before my eyes! I quickly added my milk and sugar and gave it a good stir and then the moment of truth...I put the cup to my lips and sipped.......aaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! AMAZING! Katie had told me that they had not successfully made a good strong cup of coffee with it and decided they didn't want it. I don't know what could have been their problem but my cup was wonderful! I checked with her to make sure I understood correctly that it was mine to sell or do whatever with and she said it was. HOORAY!!!! Chris called a bit later and we talked about how excited we were and agreed that we would never be able to sell it at our yard sale for a substantial amount so it was worth more to us sitting in it's new place on the kitchen counter than it was in our yard sale pile. I was reminded of the old saying "One man's junk is another man's treasure". :)


As I finished my cup of coffee with feelings of excitement about making another cup welling up inside me, I realized that this really was a miracle of sorts. Of course I did not NEED a Keurig but I had wanted one for a really long time. I don't think I've ever actually prayed for one but since God knows all of our thoughts He surely knew how much I'd wanted one. I had come to the realization a while ago that I probably would not have one for a very long time, like years. We are on a very strict budget and all of our money is pretty much spoken for before we get it. We have all sorts of "funds" that we put money into regularly in order to have enough to pay for things when needs arise, like groceries, medical, electricity, etc. and "Keurig fund" is definitely not one of them.  I was reminded that while of course we don't always get what we want when we want it, God is always listening and sometimes when we least expect it He gives us the desires of our heart.


"Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.Psalm 37:4"


If God is paying attention to the little things in my life, like my love of coffee and kitchen appliances, then how much more does He care about the really important things like Dr's appointments. I  have to remember God's timing is not always the same as our timing.


"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.Galatians 6:9"


Instead of being discouraged that my Dr appointment didn't go like I wanted I will trust that God knows all about it and He has a plan for me that is so much better than anything I could come up with on my own. I will be strong in the Lord and trust in His grace to get me through this rough patch.


"And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 2 Corinthians 12:9"


Praise the Lord for another day, my dream coffee maker and something to blog about:)







1 comment:

  1. Love this! I've hoped for one as well! I got a new coffee maker for christmas last year, and it's amazing (because it works, and it's new!) but there's just something about those keurigs! God answers prayers in mysterious ways, ways we don't always understand. But, our God is good! Always...

    ReplyDelete